« Home | Out of date communications alert Yes, I'm finally... » | If anyone knows why the M25 was stacked this eveni... » | Harumph. Leaving aside all mentions of holidays, ... » | Uganda is a wonderful place. It's high enough up ... » | New job, new life. It's amazing how much not gett... » | Going round and round my head today: And now the ... » | Things I have noticed recently: The sign outsid... » | Any chance of an Update in February, then? Well y... » | All you need in this life is ignorance and confide... » | From Ananova: BBC to broadcast silent orchestra ... » 

May 27, 2004 

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing a fantastic violinist at work. I wasn't so impressed with the orchestra (the RPO), but Maxim Vengerov was amazing. Brilliant. Wonderful. All the superlatives in the dictionary.

The Britten Violin Concerto I can take or leave, but he was excellent. Ravel's Tzigane I had never heard before, but both the piece and the violinst were great. Really good fun music to listen to and watch. Vengerov then played an encore. I wish I knew what it was. It blew me away, left me absolutely speechless. If anyone knows can you tell me please? I would love to get hold of a recording of it.

So there you go. You may gather that I enjoyed it. Elgar's Enigma Variations in the 2nd half rounded it off nicely. Being in the RFH brought back some fantastic memories. It hasn't changed that much. I could see myself sat in the stalls, playing music pinned to the violinist in front's back, looking up at a stage full of cellos, with Sir Simon Rattle conducting and Howard Blake playing the organ, breaking some world record or other. I can see myself on stage, playing my heart out. I can see myself back stage in tears because I knew that it would be my final time playing there. I can see everything as clear as if it was yesterday, when it was over 10 years ago. I wish I still played in an orchestra that I loved as much as that one. I need to go to more concerts.