« Home | One for wmp here - a lotr drinking game. » | Very quietly, a figure creeps through the door. C... » | I have nothing I want to say here. I've been sitt... » | Finally, Friday's something to make you smile. » | Oh, and Ocean's Eleven is out this weekend. Menta... » | This weekend will be the first in ages that I have... » | Check out whether you'd make it through a horror m... » | It's been a long time, so here goes. I'm going to... » | Today has been a good day. I just felt the need t... » | I noticed two things today on my daily walk round ... » 

February 22, 2002 

Today was my very first visit to what is known around these parts as The Island. Wightlink ferries charge an amazing £53.70 to take a car across. And on top of that they charge £8.60 for every passenger in the car. Which makes it, I believe, the most expensive strip of water per metre to cross in all of Europe. What do you get for this money? A 35 minute crossing, with a cafe/bar and a sun deck (not much use today). And on the way back, we got an hours wait for a ferry. When that one turned up and we pulled out of Fishbourne, another one was waiting to dock. Typical. You wait for hours, and then two come along at once!