« Home | Security Alert » | Work » | More Bliar » | Bliar » | Weekend Hi Jinks » | Harry Potter - Plot Spoiler Warning! » | Cunning » | Your Order Has Dispatched » | What Goes On The Hen... » | Done It » 

August 21, 2005 

up and down

It's been a bit of an up and down week. Last friday we had the sad news that a colleague had died after suffering for only 5 months with a brain tumour. As we only found out just before we left the office I was still a bit in shock when I got to Fran's dinner party. This may go some way to explaining my inordinate alcohol consumption and massive hangover. It isn't an excuse though, and I was sad to miss Kew Gardens.

To make up for this I spent Sunday sorting out our bedroom and finished it off this weekend - the border to cover up the ex-dado rail bits is now up and, if I do say so, looks pretty good. I've also taken the bath panel out of its wrapping and looked at it. Not much of a step forwards, but I'd like to think a small one! And I've bought the border to go up in the kitchen, so maybe I'll get that done today.

It was the funeral on Friday. It was a good one, if these things can be said to be good. It's amazing how you can spend so much time with someone and know so little about their private lives. acd wasn't married, and had no children, but the crematorium was fuller than any of us expected. He obviously touched a lot of lives, and had an incredible faith. His ashes will be scattered at the same place as his parent's are. The same place his parents met, when his Dad got off the boat to go to the wartime hospital there, saw a nurse waiting for him and said, "That's the woman I'm going to marry". I hope they're all happy now.

It was lovely then to see my parents on Friday night as they called in on their way back from France on holiday. It seems like everyone we know has been to Lourdes in the last month, and my parents were no exception. Although it is interesting how everyone's perceptions are different! I do feel slightly left out though!

Enough of this. I must go and sort out the bath panel. I lead an exciting life, don't I?!