« Home | More To Come » | Fun-raising » | Links » | The best thing since low carb beer » | Communication » | Fellowship Festival » | The Grid » | I love Blogger » | More Films » | Films » 

August 30, 2004 

The Aftermath

It's been a long time since I blogged - this was commented upon by a couple of people last night - but to be honest, I don't have that much to say normally (sounds of uncontrolable laughter in background). Since I've come back from the US my life has settled into its usual pattern. However, there are a few bits I'd like to share with you, if I may. If I may not, stop reading now.

This week at work I went to two leaving things. On Wednesday our receptionist retired. She had started work at my company on the 9th October 1995. Those of you with a keen eye for a date will know why I know exactly where I was on that day. I know it was a Monday, because I was at lectures during the day, then at the QHC bar on the evening. It was my 19th birthday - I drank all the Southern Comfort I could get down me, I was almost carried home (Actually, Mum, can you stop reading now!) and Garry the Irish, our postgrad supervisor, fell into a skip and couldn't work out how to get out again, turning up at our flat at 2am covered in rubbish and clutching a can of Bud Light. From what I can gather, though, our receptionists first day was somewhat less eventful. It started me thinking though - it's been 9 years since I started University. Which means it's been 9 years since I first met the man who is now my husband. I wouldn't have taken a bet then about how my life would be now, but if I had, I would have lost all the money I had.

Then on Friday I went for drinks with a man who was made redundant. No presentation. No speech by the owner of the company. No champagne and "nibbles". Nothing official from the company at all, just a few people down the pub to say goodbye to a person who's worked there for 20 years. It's funny how, if you decide you no longer like the company, hand in your notice and leave, they give you a presentation, but if you still like the company but they get rid of you, you get nothing.

On a happier note, last night was a fine example of how to have friends round, drink lots, eat lots and wake up the morning after feeling fine. I hope everybody had a good time - they certainly seemed to - and I'd just like to reassure everyone that following our trip to the tip a couple of hours ago, the house is back to normal. The only lasting signs of pary are an inordinate amount of sausages in the fridge, some drunken wasps zig-zagging around the garden, and the European wine lake in our kitchen. Thank you to everybody for coming, not breaking things, and leaving only good things behind.