« Home | What I love least about coming back from holidays.... » | Well, we moved. We have a new house. The living ... » | Heard the adverts? Check out the website. Appara... » | Tonight I'm being taken out for dinner and then fo... » | Yey! Thanks to workmate mpj for pointing that out... » | Thanks to Popbitch for this one. Anyone want a do... » | Congratulations to Dragon Mama and Dragon Dada on ... » | As promised, those photos. Hopefully I'll get hol... » | From Auntie's News today: He may also persuade mor... » | Which Cartoon Cat Are You? Quiz by gypsydanceThank... » 

August 15, 2002 

I was off sick yesterday afternoon, and while tucked up in bed I started to read again the excellent Notes From a Big Country. At one point in it Bill Bryson comments that to feel totally American you have to be somewhere that isn't part of America. I found myself agreeing. I feel a lot more northern for moving to the south east. I didn't used to be so vehemently defensive of the north east... although to be fair, I didn't know much about the rest of the country so didn't need to be defensive! Still, I recommend it to anyone - move away from your home to somewhere completely different and see how loyal it makes you to your homeland.